A pair of bronze sculptures representing wild horses being tamed and modelled from life and known as the Marly horses. The original two large marble sculptures were commissioned by the King Louis XIV from Guillaume Coustou for the gardens of the Chateau de Marly in 1739 and delivered in 1745.
Coustou’s horses were from the outset, deemed a masterpiece of French sculpture and were spared the fate of the Chateau which was destroyed during the revolution. In 1795, on the orders of the painter David, they were taken to the Place de Revolution, (now the Place de Concorde). They remained there until 1984 when they were removed to the Louvre for restoration and were replaced by copies.